What’s the next best thing to taking a summer vacation to an exotic locale?
Reading about someone who did, of course!
This week’s post is about one such book (and includes a little contest!)
The book is Maureen Johnson’s 13 Little Blue Envelopes. It features Ginny, who is off on an adventure orchestrated by her deceased non-conformist aunt. Using the instructions found in a series of 13 letters, Ginny travels throughout Europe, living in the moment, learning about her aunt, and falling a little bit in love along the way!
If you’d like to win a copy of this book, you must follow this blog (if you don’t already!) and post a comment by midnight (Eastern Time) Saturday, June 18. From those who comment, I’ll randomly select one person (U.S. entrants only) to mail the book to (sorry, no little blue envelope).
Here are some ideas for your comments inspired by Maureen’s book:
1. Ginny has a cool aunt—do you? What fun things have you done with your aunt?
When I was nine, my own aunt predicted I would someday live in Paris. Sure enough, I did. My aunt also showed up to take me on a wild European adventure (which included nearly being robbed by gypsies on a night train to Prague)
2. Ginny’s aunt used a theme to paint a whole café in Paris. If you had to paint a café, what theme would you use?
I’m going to have to go with elephants, myself.
3. Letters—ah, that lost art form! What letter are you glad you saved or what is one that you wish you had saved?
O.K., I admit I still have that first love letter. (Clears throat). And I got rid of a whole series of letters from my grandmother in which she told her life story.
4. What other Y.A. travel stories have you read and loved?
Be sure not to miss Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins!
5. Yeah, sure, you can pick your own topic too!
Happy summer travels, whether real or imagined!