Monday, December 30, 2013

To 2014 and Beyond...



I've never been one for New Year's resolutions. The road to hell, good intentions, blah, blah, blah. But this year, I'm determined to stick to a few. 

Not many, mind you. I've got commitment issues...

After talking to a bunch of friends this weekend, we decided to make a pact. Stick to a few simple guidelines, and we'll have an awesome (and productive) 2014!

1.  Write every day.
 
One or two lines. A paragraph. Edit a page or two. Work on a blurb. Sketch out an outline. Just, do SOMETHING. Chances are, once you start (because, let's face it, that's the hardest part) it will be like flying down an icy hill with no brakes.

2.  Read

Duh. Come on. If you're not reading, then how are you writing!? There's inspiration in everything, and what could be more inspirational than feeding your mind with all kinds of fiction? I was guilty of this in 2013. My schedule was insane, and my TBR pile kind of got away from me, but I'm in the process of fixing that right now!

3.  Screw the rules

The bad little influence that I am wants to tell you that rules are really just guidelines. Think of them as the guardrail along that crazy drop beside the interstate of life. Well, most of them. I think there's probably a rule about snuggling up to a starving polar bear. That one you should probably take to heart. But the writing ones? Sometimes it's good to break a rule or two. Follow your voice. Be true to your characters. Screw the rules. The world won't end, so stop stressing over it.

4.  Connect with other writers.
 
This is the thing I'm personally most guilty of. I've always been a loner. Super shy in most social situations, and instead of trying to join in, I tend to hover on the fringe, away from all the action. I'm socially awkward and afraid of opening my mouth if fear that something epically stupid will fall out. I'm quirky and strange and sometimes suffer from trucker mouth. But you know what? Who gives a crap? Writers are generally all strange/insecure/colorful/shy/ect. We need to be sticking together, yo! Safety in numbers and all that jazz.

So what about you guys? Any guidelines for 2014?

6 comments:

Lisa Tapp said...

My goal for 2014 is to be more purposeful in/with my life. No more standing on the fringes and waiting for life to come along and ask me to dance. I want to jump in the middle and participate!

Suzi said...

I like #3. Break the rules.

After over-editing the voice out of my WIP, I'm gonna try do more of this--breaking the rules. I now know so much of what we're not supposed to do, so now I'm going to do some of it.

Happy New Year!

Amber Hart said...

Love this

Kristin Lenz said...

I can relate to all of this and Lisa and Suzi's comments. Happy New Year!

Kurt Hampe said...

2014 will continue my 2013 return to proper outlining, only more so. Thanks for the reminder to think about it.

Colette Ballard said...

Fun post, Jus! My goal is to stop checking Goodreads and reviews. i need to get the 'extra voices' out of my head and focus on the ones i love--my character's voices! :)